Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Panchito

Hehehe. Yeah snail cream seems to be big here. They even sell it in the street. My boyfriend's mom actually has a pet snail and she has it crawl across scars, scabs and sunburns to heal them faster. Snail saliva (or whatever that is) is supposed to regenerate your skin. One day Vuko and I arrived from the beach and the tops of my feet were all burned so Tere and Pepe (Vuko's folks) convinced me to let Pancho the snail crawl across my feet and slobber on them. Unfortuately I think I poisoned him with the lotion I'd applied on my feet because after about 10 minutes, he, uncharacteristically, rolled up into his shell and stopped still, but not before leaving me a big white loogey with curative properties. It was pretty cool.

Vuko's friend Guillermo told me that his girlfriend's mom (la suegra) actually lets the snail crawl across her face to try to get rid of her wrinkles. I heard about this before my encounter with Pancho so it was kind of freaky and slightly nasty to hear. With a grimace, I asked him if it worked, and he started laughing and said it didn't work at all.

3 comments:

Mama in Chile said...

Haha! I say buy crema de caracol, smells like any normal cream and you don't need to deal with any snail deaths or snail slime - much more hassle free!

Hope all is well with you, looking forward to meeting up with all of you guys on the 5th!

besos!!

Leigh said...

A few months ago, some people set up a stand in my neighborhood and began preaching the gospel of snails. While I was checking out the snails one morning, a woman came up and explained she had a tank of snails at home and regularly let them crawl all over her face. I was grossed out, but maybe I'll have more wrinkles than her when I'm older.

Mamacita Chilena said...

I was just about to tell you that Tamsin wrote a blog entry about the crema de caracol but she beat me too it :)

See you this weekend!