Monday, July 21, 2008

Porque Colo Colo es Chile


So after four and a half years in Chile, three and a half of which I have spent lots of time watching soccer games on TV, especially Colo Colo, the Chile national team, European leagues, etc., I finally stumbled upon a good opportunity to see Colo Colo en vivo. Yupi. The game was played in the Estadio Monumental at three thirty in the afternoon and was very exciting because 1) I actually saw the team live and 2) I experienced what it was like in general, how the fans were, the vendors, the 500-peso shot of coffee, etc. It was a bit overwhelming at first. I was soooo excited, because más encima Colo-Colo is my fave sports team in the world. I was super curious to see what it would be like, what would surprise me about it and I was excited to see the game LIVE. Yay.

Once upon a time I went to a hockey game in Prague and I remember the highlight was the mulled wine they sold between periods. A warm tasty beverage to combat the cool December evening. jeje I can assure you they don't sell alcohol at Colo Colo games porque quedaría la mansa cagá. The highlight of this game, apart from seeing Colo Colo play LIVE, was la garra blanca. There were no cheerleaders at the Colo Colo game. They aren't at all necessary. Instead there is a whole section of dedicated Colo Colo fans that make up the self-designated "garra blanca" (the white fighting spirit) whose motto is: "Tu muerte fue jugando. Lo nuestro será cantando." They lived up to their motto and sang the whole entire game from start to finish, taking a break only at half-time. The garra blanca has this big, loud drum to keep the beat. (I think this is typicalyof soccer fans in Chile and perhaps the Greater Latin America.) They continued playing after the game, while we filed out and headed to the car parked at a nearby mall. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have heard the garra blanca is composed mostly of flaytes, so while they give ambiance and entertain, they are best kept at a distance.

The Rangers won 3-2, BOO, but it was a pretty good game. The ref seemed a bit unfair, but it's harder to judge this live because there were no instant replays to get a better look at what happened. The funny thing was, a couple of times during the game I found myself waiting for the instant replay. Once for a possible foul and another time I wanted to see the replay of a goal. But no, this doesn't exist en vivo, duh. Perhaps I should go to live games more often. I must've overdosed on soccer games viewed on TV. The other thing I felt was missing was the roster. Claro, on TV, the commentary people say the names of the players all the time. But since Suazo and Sanchéz have moved on to other teams, I only know one of the players by memory - Sanhueza. Obviously most Colo Colo fans probably know the key players by name, so a roster is totally unnecessary, but I would have enjoyed having one. Perhaps I can check out the official website before going to the next game. Or bring a radio, like what some people do to listen to the commentary. En fin, estuvo entrete la cuestión. A ver si voy a otro más adelante.





7 comments:

Leigh said...

So it's YOU who's been crossing out the "Universidad de Chile" stop on all the Metro maps!

I still haven't found my Chilean team, although practically everyone I meet tries to make me a die-hard fan of their squad. My idea is to pick a small underdog team so that when they finally win the championship in a couple years, I can be one of those annoying fans who says they've "been with them from the beginning."

Oh, and I think of Suazo as a sexier Mr. Clean. So attractively bald.

Maeskizzle said...

jejeje. Yeah and the "Universidad Católica" stops too.

Sounds like a good strategy, picking the underdog team. Maybe you could be a Rangers fan. They're from Talca and are a small team, and they beat Colo-Colo on Sunday :( Cuak.

Lamentablemente Suazo has switched teams. I think he's playing in Mexico, but I had also heard a team in Argentina was recruiting him, so I'm not really sure on that one. I wonder if he'd find your comment flattering!? jejeje. Actually it would probably just be lost in translation.

Anonymous said...

Let me correct you on this one friend. colo colo (lowercase intended) is not and has never been Chile. This pathetic excuse for a team is rather the perfect embodiment of all that's wrong with the place.

A country so deeply divided between the haves and the have-nots that upward mobility is a foreign concept. A country endowed with one the worst public education and health care systems in the world, one that can offer little to nothing to its citizens. The end result of decades of oppression where a concerted effort was made to systematically destroy the people's sense of identity.

Attending live football games may seem like fun at first (I've been there myself) but it isn't long before even the concept turns sour. One need only think of the hordes of mostly illiterate people that devote their whole existences to rooting for one of the most mediocre teams the world has ever known. People who communicate largely through hand gestures, grunts, and curses, whose lexicon is so severely limited, it must be well contained within a 200 word set.

You see them cheering for the colo_ass team from hell and it boils your kettle, but is it fair to blame them? After all, what's one to do when there's absolutely nothing else in your life to look forward to?

And yes, the garra blanca is to be avoided at all costs, unless you have a death wish.

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maeskizzle said...

Wow! That was a passionate comment. Thanks for the interest. By your tone, I imagine you aren't a Pinochet supporter? It's come to my attention that here in Chile either people love them or they hate him and there is very little room for indifference and apathy.

Maeskizzle said...

Posdato. I didn't mean to offend you by titling my post "Porque Colo Colo es Chile"...I was just making use of a popular refrain.

Maeskizzle said...

...a refrain which I just found out the other day is actually "Colo-Colo de Chile". Oops! I've had it wrong ALL these years, hehehe. Lo que una aprende, jejeje. But I kind of like it as "Colo-Colo es Chile" and will probably continue chanting it that way. hehehe