Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Chilean male/female relationships: another piece to the mosaic

So I have a slightly altered perspective on male/female relations in Chile. Perhaps, better stated, one more piece has been added to the mosaic. So Vuko and I went to a wedding on Saturday. It was a nice wedding. (As a sidenote, it was the shortest Catholic ceremony I've ever attended, like 3o minutes.) The revelation I had came a couple days later, but it was stimultated by an experience that just didn't fit within my picture of Chileans. So you know the tradition of the bride throwing the bouquet that may provoke a catfight for the flowers that promise a future wedding/marriage? Okay, so all of us single chiks were waiting for the bride to throw the bouquet. She ended up having to throw it three times because no one caught it. And there was a general lack of enthusiam among the girls to catch it, which was made up for when the groom threw the garter. You should have seen these rowdy guys' ebullience. They wanted that garter. When it was thrown, it passed through Vuko's fingertips and a sea of hands shot up to grab it. I don't know who got it, but Vuko came back to our table wounded. He was bleeding. Some dude had taken a chunk out of Vuko's finger with his clawlike nails. I mentioned this to my psycologist because this just didn't make sense, why are these guys sooo excited to be married? She said that Chilean men were probably more enthusiastic to get married than I had previously thought. No me cuadraba para nada. But why? Maybe they just wanted to make a scene, and I wouldn't have thought twice, but Vuko's finger was pretty ugly. There was more too it than just screwing around. One possible answer is that in a traditional Chilean marriage the woman takes really good care of the man. She's his servant, because as Kyle has described, he's the king. So this also means a wedding condemns the woman to a lifetime of servitude, and thus the bouquet was dropped three times. This explanation fits together quite nicely, actually. Though I don't mean to generalize to all Chilean parejas. I'm sure our generation has a ton of exceptions to the rule. But, perhaps it still is the rule?

3 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

I also think that for men the commitment isn't as big because their cheating is a sort of generally accepted, swept under the table sort of thing.

So they're like, I should get married because I'll have my cake and eat it too..a nice wife taking care of things as home for me, and I'll go out and screw whoever I want!

Although I'll admit that before reading this entry of yours, I thought that was the old school mentality, but I guess it still persists in a lot of people even in our generation.

Maeskizzle said...

Word. I think you're right about the have my cake and eat it too syndrome. It took me a long time to understand/accept that that was how it was here (for lots of Chileans). I remember going home after my first semester of classes here and a friend of my folks' asked me if besides my masters, I was also working on my MRS. I told him, "No way. They all cheat on each other in Chile."

I've since learned that while it's a common practice, not all Chileans do. I just wrote about this the other day in a notebook, but I've lost the entry.

cavils in chile said...

i thought this was really interesting. and depressing.