Wednesday, May 28, 2008

JLo's Ciudad Juarez movie

Vuko and I went to see Bordertown the other day. He suggested we go which surprised me. I assumed he'd never seen a JLo movie before (I was right), and didn't actually try to dissuade him because the whole Ciudad Juarez deal interests me, even if I have to get an idea of life there by watching JLo's typical righteous, femenist (and now ultra-gringa) journalist character bumble around Ciudad Juarez. The story is about a chicana reporter who goes to Ciudad Juarez to investigate a few things related to the women who work in the maquiladoras: why so many women who work in sweat shops there are killed, who is killing them, and why the police don't do anything about it. Her character seemed pretty accurate, as did the other characters: the mexican journalist, (Antonio Banderas), the chic from the maquiladora, and then this rich chic that pseudo-helped them out, but really couldn't due to social pressures. Actually more than JLo's character, what annoyed me about the movie was how the plot unraveled. If JLo's character really acted the way she did, she should have been dead within days of arriving to Ciudad Juarez. I would find it very satisfying to see the Mexican Cinema version of the story of a feminist, chicana reporter threatening politicians, businessmen, and police in Mexico. You can be sure it would end in a super-melodramatic blood bath. And probably be more accurate.

I suppose I associate JLo with movies that have crappy plot, like the one about the politician that falls for her, can't remember what it's called. I suppose that's more of a romantic comedy which are generally pretty predictable. What I liked most about that movie was JLo's wardrobe in it.

Anyway, I wouldn't disrecommend Bordertown, but I wouldn't recommend it either. One thumb up, one thumb down.