Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Yay, my kahla lilies are blooming

Just one of the perks of living in Santiago. It's winter and look at my kahla lilies blooming outside. This is impossible in Minnesota.

Falta la foto de Minnesota con un metro de nieve. Lamentablemente no tengo una en forma digital. Here's where I should have a photo of Minnesota in winter:
But I don't. Here's a link of Minnesota in winter, however. Yeah it's pretty. But it gets pretty dull after six months.

My friend Katha gave these to me a few years ago when she moved back to Berlin. The plant had two small stems with two small leaves. I broke one stem in the micro ride from her place in Playa Ancha to my place in the port. I thought the plant was a goner. A couple weeks later, I moved to a much cuico-er part of Valpo and nursed the plant back to health on my balcony for a year. The view from there was absolutely delightful. It received sunlight all afternoon.




and when we moved to Santiago a couple years ago, the kahla began to bloom like crazy. Above you can enjoy a photo of the first three flowers of the season.

The photo of Valpo can also be titled "why I miss Valpo".

3 comments:

Valentina said...

thanks for the english correction..

the documentary was played days ago in the SanFic4, but only people related with the judge and the directors went there..

i was there because my mom worked with him in all the human rights abuses..

but in this link you can see part of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCjoWPCc10k

Maeskizzle said...

Thanks for the link. I found a link from that to the PBS website - my fave gringo tv station. PBS will be streaming the documentary til Sept 2.
http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2008/
judgeandthegeneral/

Leigh said...

beautiful flowers! when i was in minnesota this month, i kept looking at my mom's flowers and lamenting how short their lives will be.