Thursday, December 4, 2008

El precio gringo

Totally agree about what Sara says about the "Gringo Price". I also agree with the comment Kyle makes on Sara's blog, that if Chileans can get other Chileans to pay more, they will do it. It's not just something they do to gringos. Although, it's called the gringo price because it's much easier to make gringos (especially tourists) pay this price than other Chileans, who know that some of their fellow people will try to rip them off, if given the chance.

When I think about el precio gringo, several incidents come to mind that have happened to me in just the last few months.

When I printed my thesis, my friend X. designed a really stylish cover to put on the ugly fake-leather book (my bound thesis). She had studied architecture for a couple years near where I live and she knew where to get architecture plans (or in my case, a book cover) printed cheaply. She said it should cost about 1.000 pesos (2 dollars) to get the cover printed. We went to this place with the design on a pendrive and asked how much it would cost to print. The guy needed to see my thesis in order to get an idea of the size of the paper. First of all, just looking at me, it's apparent I'm a gringa. Second, on the cover, it said that this was my master's thesis for the Catholic University. So the guy was thinking, she must already have a job since this is her masters. She's going to a nice University and she's a gringa. "That will be 11.000 pesos." X. almost fell on her ass. Of course she questioned why it was so expensive, because she'd often had plans printed there and it didn't cost nearly that much and they were much bigger. The guy said that the paper was really expensive and that's why they were charging me eleven-fold what they used to charge X. It cost me less then that to bind two theses. This was just going to be a simple cover for them. Needless to say we canned that idea, because I had to turn them in the next day anyway.

This is just one of many cases I've experienced where people have tried to rip me off here.

That same day I'd eaten in one of the vegas and I didn't confirm the price of the lunch before ordering. (You should ALWAYS confirm the price before ordering if there's any chance of them trying to charge more. I knew that but had eaten at the vega a few times before with no problem, so I didn't confirm it this time, because it is a pain in the ass having to do it every time.) They totally screwed me over on the price. The waitress brought me the check and they were charging me double the price. At first I questioned the waitress, is this the right check? I pointed to where the price of my meal was written on the wall and asked why they were charging me double. She didn't know what to say so she looked at her boss who said "that is the right price." I got angry and started ranting in really colloquial, semi-vulgar chilensis how "me están cagando por ser gringa, el pedazo de pescadito era así una wea y uds me quieren cobrar 3 luka por esto? Puta, que tengo mala cueva por ser gringa. Qué penca. Así tratan a sus clientes?, etc." The waitress got visibly uncomfortable as all the Chileans having lunch there looked our way. (Chileans don't like to make a scene, so embarrassing them throughly in this way is reeeeeally satisfying. I might have even gotten my money's worth. You got to make them suffer a bit). I didn't want to get much more aggressive than that though because I was not on my turf at all. (Read: It's a poor neighborhood.) But the boss wouldn't ease up on the price even though the waitress didn't know what to charge me and was visibly ruffled. She knew they were charging double and that I knew it and I was letting everyone else in the little restaurant know it too. I left without tipping, too bad for the waitress, pero cómo tan penca? I haven't eaten at the vega since.

And, a month later, I was at the airport. Airport taxis are notorious for charging el precio gringo. You barely walk out the doors of the airport and the taxi drivers start bombarding you with offers to take you to the city. In October I arrived in the airport and needed a ride to my place. I was going to take the Transvip van to downtown Santiago, because it leaves you at your doorstep for like 5.000 pesos. However, most everyone was going to Providencia, or to the suburbs even further East. Right, I thought, Chileans who travel don't live in Santiago center. It was going to be a wait. So I decided to go talk to the bus people to see if the metro was running. Because for 1.000 pesos, the bus leaves you at the metro. However, it was early Sunday morning, so the metro wasn't running. I turned and started walking back the way I came. Just then, a taxi driver came up to me and offered to take me. I asked him how much he charged. He said 12.000 pesos. I looked at him, and very softly, so that he would doubt whether he'd really heard me say this or not, I said, "nica", and kept walking. So then he shouted at my back "11.000", "10.000", and then slightly flabbergasted: "how much do you want to pay?" This made me chuckle, but he'd already tried to screw me over and I knew Transvip could get me home, so I went with them.

When I need to call people to ask for their services, I sometimes have V. do it so that they won't hear my accent and charge double right off the bat. Just the other day I called my suegra to see if she could call the photographer for me so he wouldn't charge me the precio gringo. He gave her an excellent price. But sometimes you just have to suck it up and pay el precio gringo. There's only so much you can do.

7 comments:

Mamacita Chilena said...

The most shocking example of the precio gringo was when I was apartment hunting. I stopped at a building and the conserje told me that nothing rented for more than 250,000 pesos in the building, even the furnished. In fact, he had a little list of all the apartments taht were for rent and their prices and most were less than that. So I took down some numbers to call their duenos later...lo and behold...the person on the other end heard my gringa voice and tried to aprovechar. She told me it went for 450,000!!!!!!! I asked why it was so expensive when all the other apartments in the building were renting for cheaper and that the conserje had told me that this apartment was renting for 200,000 thousand and she goes, I kid you not, "Es un depto especial para los extranjeros." When I asked her what was so especial about it she couldn't give me one good answer!


In case that someone tries to overcharge for food, especially in the case of the menu being on the wall, I just won't pay. THen again, I've never eaten at Mercado Central since I don't like fish, and that barrio is a little rough....

Mama in Chile said...

"me están cagando por ser gringa, el pedazo de pescadito era así una wea y uds me quieren cobrar 3 luka por esto? Puta, que tengo mala cueva por ser gringa. Qué penca. Así tratan a sus clientes?"

Hahahahahaha!! Brilliant!!!! Well said!

Funnily enough, I haven't come across anyone trying to rip me off (yet) I always get A to deal with the big stuff, appartment, bills etc..you need to be seriously "astuta" in this country

Emily said...

That sucks that they ripped you off at La Vega...Rodolfo and I used to eat there a bunch, and between the two of us for two platos (with consome and agregados) and bebida we'd spend 4.000. Then again, Rodolfo knows the waitresses because his tours go through there and have a juice or coffee, so they're not about to screw him over - they're always really friendly. I've actually never had a problem with food or drink prices and can't believe that with the price written right there AND the scene you caused they still insisted.

As far as having V call for things, I would have thought that over the phone your accent could pass for Chilean! I'm very thankful to have brown hair. I think even though I'm tall and dress like a gringa, the brown hair gives people enough pause that I could just pass for someone who's really cuica and therefore deserves good service (cause ya know, only rich people should be treated nicely...but that's a whole other issue!).

Maeskizzle said...

Kyle, that sucks that they tried to charge you double. They can be such jerks. Sounds like you caught the lady off-guard though...hehehe. That always makes me feel good.

Tamsin, I'm glad you haven't had to deal with the precio gringo. It's depressing that the culture is like that where they try to take advantage of people so much.

Emily, I'll let you guys know the name of the restaurant that ripped me off next time I go to the vega to buy produce. I doubt they will forget me there. hahaha

KM said...

Good post...Speaking of, I went to La Vega pre-Thanksgiving to find a good, cheap turkey. 2 lukas per kilo was the price they offered me. Later that week I was at the Hiper Lider in snooty patooty la Dehesa and guess how much the turkeys were MARKED for? 2 lukas per kilo. So, something tells me I got the precio gringo. I've really given up on trying to buy stuff here that doesn't already have a price on it. Sad but true.

Maeskizzle said...

Mmm...yeah, it sucks you can't trust people to give you the correct price. Basically you have to know what the price is before you go and also you have to know what you are buying. If not, you may be screwed over.

Sara said...

Funny! I'm glad I read this. I recently had another experience where I wasn't charged an unfair price but a guard at telepizza locked my friends outside and wouln't let them come back in even though I was yelling at him. Okay, so it was 5:30 and I was less than sober, but he knew what I was saying and he knew that the only reason my friends were outside is because there was such a long line inside. Jerk.

Also, while waiting outside, my friend got his camara stolen. I was still angry about it the next day and when I saw a security guard at the bus station, I wanted to go over and yell "HEY! Do you know what your security guard friend did to me yesterday?!?!"