Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Another encounter with a mime

I was heading to lunch at the little vega today. Walking, absorbed by my thoughts, I see I'm approaching two mimes, but I'm already 5 feet away when I realize this. Their "stage" is like 10 meters wide and 20 long and I'm very much on the stage with a whole crowd of onlookers watching to see how these mimes will huebearme (mess with me). Huebeando a la gente is the Chilean National Pastime, quite a fun one, when you aren't the object of the webeo.

Nothing left to do but play along. So one of them took me by the elbow, walking with me as a gentlemenly mime, then he took me by the hand. And then he stopped and exaggeratedly admired my butt. Here I saw my entrance, and I slapped him back side the head, and kept walking. Fortunately, they didn't follow me. But just as I get offstage, I think, "I should have gotten out my cellphone and taken a photo with the guy". Doh!

5 comments:

lydia said...

haha. i love mimes.

a couple weeks ago one started really extensively messing with me to the point it was really awkward for me
a couple days later, out of costume, we ran into him on the street and he turned out to be an apologetic friend of my boyfriend. oops.

Maeskizzle said...

hahaha. Ooh, was it the main mime there in Valpo/Viña? One of the best mimes I've ever seen is in that area. He always gets a good crowd of people together and he's hilarious. I usually seem him on San Martin in Viña, like on the weekend, or on Pedro Montt at the Plaza Victoria in Valpo.

lydia said...

haha, no, some guy frmo the "worlds smallest circus" or something. more of a mimo ordinario

i actually dont know what guy you're talking about... but one idea of a really really good one (that yeah my boyfriend is friends with and even participated in some of his bigger more organized street shows) but he's does stuff all over the place... its the tall skinny guy in the orange jumpsuit, Tuga http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr33LUmMr_8

if its not him im sure im having some huge mind blank right now haha, also, quite possible.
i flipflop between enjoying participating or being made fun or, and being pretty embarrassed or annoyed.

Maeskizzle said...

Yes that's him. Tuga. Oh my Lord he's hilarious ;) Thanks for the link.

Sara said...

That's a great story. I had one try to honk my uh chest area before. Funny for the crowd. Not funny for me.