Saturday, January 24, 2009

Food and diet: I'm a flexitarian!

I have a name. According to the Mayo Clinic website, I'm a flexitarian. Flexitarians are defined as people who "primarily follow a plant-based diet but occasionally eat small amounts of meat, poultry or fish." Although "occasionally eat small amounts of meat, poultry or fish" translates into a couple times a week (when V cooks), and then gorging on a potpourri of animal cadavers when I stumble upon a Chilean barbecue. But I cook primarily veggies and grains and I eat lots of fruit, chocolate and coconut milk, too. Ñami.

Check out this tool! This is really cool. I did it and found out my daily calorie goal is 2000 calories. Pretty cool.

And here are five different food pyramids, depending on your taste/culture.

The Mayo Clinic rocks.

But my fave food pyramid is this one, from the integrative nutrition catalog:



Perhaps the most complete food pyramid known to mankind.
If I were to formally study nutrition, I would do it with them, integrative nutrition.

3 comments:

Abby said...

I was just reading about being a flexitarian last week in one of those magazines that comes with El Mercurio. Right now I'm kind of a flexitarian by default because we have two vegetarians living with us and my host mom doesn't like cooking two meals so I eat veggie at home and meat when I go out.

Sara said...

I saw a special on flexitarians a couple of years ago when I was nearly vegan. I am no longer nearly vegan, but I would happily define myself as flexitarian because I do not cook meat, unless by request of someone else. I am morally opposed to cutting up animal parts (gross). I will, however, eat it if someone makes it for me or if I can order it in a restuarant.

I still love to follow a mostly vegetarian diet. It just gets really hard sometimes when during those occasions, like you mentioned--the barbeque--you are pretty much obliged to partake in the food provided or risk offending someone.

Maeskizzle said...

Oh, I wish I'd seen the flexitarian thing in the El Mercurio magazine. Is it called "Ya"?

Sara, I went nearly vegan myself for awhile, but it would be such a pain in the butt to really be vegan. I imagine in Boulder, Colorado it's an easy thing to do, but not in Santiago, married to an ultra-carnivore.