Tuesday, January 6, 2009

What would Jesus do?

Dude, the SuperChristians who get together on Paseo Ahumada to preach the word of God should be arrested. Their sound system sucks, so walking by them means declaring war on my eardrums. They yell puras weás into the microphone, polluting public space with the terrible sound waves they produce. They should be forced to get rid of their sound system at the very least. I think its so stupid that these superchristians go to only poor neighborhoods to stand on the corners and rant about salvation. As if the rich were all perfect Christians. Of course if they did that in the Barnechea the police would be called and they would be gone in no time at all. I wonder if complaining to police would help. Or maybe I should just approach the superchristians and tell them how I feel. Since they are soo approachable psychotically screaming into the microphone. What would I say?..."Could you please shut up? I lose my faith just coming within earshot of you guys." o algo por el estilo...

while I'm on the Christian note...at Iguazu Falls I saw a superChristian wearing a t-shirt with a quote from the book of John. While the Bible has some pretty good verses, this wasn't one of them. It said something like, He loved you before you loved him. And then there was a logo about some Christian sports league on the front of the t-shirt. And I decided it would be fun to print a t-shirt with a quote on the back of it from the book of Revelations, a book Hunter S. Thompson periodically quoted. And of course, the front of could have a sketch of this popular American writer. If I remember correctly, he quoted dark, apocalptic verses as well as very dramatic literary ones kind of like this one in Revelations: "17And thus I saw the horses in the vision, and them that sat on them, having breastplates of fire, and of jacinth, and brimstone: and the heads of the horses were as the heads of lions; and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone." He found some good ones, the bible is probably plumb full of them.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Agreed. Super zealous religous freaks are annoying everywhere. Do you like those Hare Khrisna (not sure on that spelling) who come up to and try to convince you that you are polluting your body? Or maybe they just said that to me because I was eating a giant ice cream.

Maeskizzle said...

hahaha. They haven't told me that I pollute my body. I find their uniforms dope. I just stare at those funky get-ups as they pass by me, sometimes turning around to keep staring. Maybe that's why they don't talk to me, because I'm generally staring at them unrelentingly.

I don't find the Hare Khrisna people as annoying, I have no problem telling people I'm not interested and walking away. But the people with the sound system are just obnoxious because you are obligated to hear them until you get a block away.

Speaking of ice cream...have you had the ice cream from El Emporio La Rosa on Monjitas? YUMMY! Cinnamon is my fave flavor. 'Tis the season to eat helado.

Abby said...

Oh my gosh. All this blogging talk about Emporio Las Rosas makes me want to go there right now...too bad it's 11:00.

Anyway, I love your term "superChristian"...it's perfect!