Sunday, January 4, 2009

Politics and Self-esteem

The election of Obama made my self-esteem go up. hahahaha. I was very surprised with myself when I realized this. It's hard being abroad and being from the States, (in some ways). I spent most of Bush's two terms abroad. During his first term, I was in Spain a year where many Spaniards personally blamed me for Bush's election. I AM that powerful. It was all my doing.

Then I came to Chile. I actually voted against Bush from Chile (I did my part), but he was re-elected and I've spent all of his second term in Chile. Chileans realize most Statesians abroad don't like Bush, so I haven't been personally blamed for him being in office, but I still have felt I've had to explain that half of Statesians are freaking idiots for electing him a second time. Duh. But now, Obama is president-elect. I don't have to explain a thing. I'm actually content with our president-elect, as is most of the world, (or so it seems). And while he only got like 50% of the vote, he won!!! And that's what counts. I'm looking forward to him taking office.

And I still can't get over that my self-esteem has gone up. Really, this shouldn't affect that since I'm not personally responsible for either presidents' elections.

2 comments:

lydia said...

the day after the election was the only day in my life i have ever even considered it would be nice to wear something or somehow show US pride.

unfortunately, every previous day of my life i hadn't felt said pride and never bought anything fitting that description that could've possibly served me that day.

however, i feel less hesitant to say my nationality now, thats for sure.

Maeskizzle said...

Yeah, I haven't felt much pride for the States either. Perhaps I did as a child, I can't remember. But last year's election day was a happy one.